CAREER OPPORTUNITIES

Blog

All Entries

Our Blog
« Back to listings

You may not be a licensed electrician. You may not have any interest in learning about how electricity works, but every person, regardless of their occupation, intellect and experience will inevitably encounter electrical dangers throughout their life. It is important to understand the consequences and risks associated with everyday electrical appliances such as cords, outlets, wires, light bulbs etc.

Here are some safety tips for everyday electrical safety:

  • When removing a plug from an outlet, pull the plug itself rather than the appliance cord. Pulling on the cord can break or damage the wires inside which can cause a short circuit, fire hazard or electrical shock.
  • Cords under carpets are dangerous. A cord carrying too much current, or an old worn out cord can overheat and start an electrical fire. Damaged cords could have deteriorating insulation and should be repaired or replaced immediately.
  • Extension cords should never be used as permanent wiring no matter what their location (even if in a dry cool place) Extension cords are not a long term solution to your wiring issues.
  • Always use the recommended bulb wattage in lamps and light fixtures. Do not use a bulb with a higher wattage than the fixture suggests. This could produce a great deal of heat, melting the light socket, wire insulation and/or permanently damaging the fixture.
  • Never overload an outlet by plugging in too many appliances at one time. If you must use a multi outlet power bar (or something similar) use one with a built-in circuit breaker for overload protection.
  • Always replace or repair loose receptacles (outlets) or broken/missing wall plates and make sure there are safety covers on any unused outlets that are within reach of children.

Comments

There are currently no comments.

Log in to post a comment.